Learn German and study
This programme is especially targeted at high school graduates who want to study at an Austrian university while perfecting their knowledge of German. We offer the most suitable course and give you the opportunity to get an internationally recognized certificate. Furthermore, our ActiLingua university expert advises you on the right choice of university and the enrolment process. Together with our expert we will find a degree course tailored for your need at either a private/public university or a university of applied sciences.
German Course - Standard or Intensive
A preceding German course with a minimum duration of 8 weeks is an excellent foundation for meeting the challenges of university studies. Beginners in German should book at least a 36-week course.
Your German course consists of either 20 lessons (Standard Course) or 30 lessons (Intensive Course) per week following a recognized curriculum. The Intensive Course gives you the opportunity to strengthen your German knowledge in small international study groups. Longterm Courses starting from 12 weeks onwards furthermore offer an attractive long-term discount of up to 18% (This discount is already considered in our price list).
ActiLingua is an examination centre for OSD (Austrian German Language Diploma). OSD Certificate B2 or C1 are recognized by some Universities in Austria, Germany and Switzerland as sufficient proof of German language knowledge. The University Preparation Course will prepare you for the OSD examination and features two tutorials providing you with sufficient insight in the Austrian landscape of higher education.
University Enrolment Guidance
In addition to University Preparation we also offer Enrolment Guidance, which features personal advice on your choice of studies and matriculation at an Austrian university. Our ActiLingua study expert also checks your acquired diplomas and provides you with a schedule for the road to your studies and visa support. This programme also features valuable guidance for submitting of enrolment documents at 1-3 Austrian universities or for a university organised preparation programme (Vorstudienlehrgang). You can also choose a university with English study programmes in Austria.
Requirements for studying at an Austrian university
For EU, EEA or Swiss nationals and others:
- High school diploma (translated and authenticated).
- It’s up to the individual universities if additional exams are required.
- Proof of sufficient knowledge of German: University entrance exam OSD Certificate B2 or C1.
Citizens of other nations applying at public Austrian universities ADDITIONALLY need:
- Confirmation of a recognized/accredited university in the home country that the requirements for studying are fulfilled:
- for the period of time you want to study in Austria.
This confirmation is not required if you enroll at a private university.
Most universities offer 3- or 5-year degree programmes. After completing a 3-year programme you graduate with a Bachelor's degree and after a 5-year programme you graduate with a Master's degree. You can opt for further studies, called doctorate ("PhD"). Furthermore you also have the possibility to attend university as a visiting student and stay for one or two terms only.
- Universities in Austria: University of Vienna, Vienna University of Technology, Vienna University of Economics and Business, University of Graz, Linz, Salzburg, Innsbruck and more.
- Art Colleges: Vienna Conservatory, Academy of Fine Arts Vienna, University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna, University of Music and Performing Arts Salzburg (Mozarteum Salzburg) and more.
|Lessons:||20 or 30 lessons (Standard or Intensive) per week |
5 lessons (2-3 times) of culture/special interest programme per week
8 lessons exam preparation course
|Starting Dates:||Every Monday. Total beginners see below.|
|Starting Dates Beginners:||03.12.2018 / 07.01.2019 / 04.02.2019 / 04.03.2019 /
01.04.2019 / 06.05.2019 / 03.06.2019 / 01.07.2019 /
29.07.2019 / 02.09.2019 / 30.09.2019 / 04.11.2019 /
02.12.2019 / 07.01.2020
|Starting Dates |
|21.01.2019 (exam: 31.01.2019 & 01.02.2019) / 04.03.2019 (exam: 14.03.2019 & 15.03.2019) / 06.05.2019 (exam: 16.05.2019 & 17.05.2019) / 01.07.2019 (exam: 11.07.2019 & 12.07.2019) /
15.07.2019 (exam: 25.07.2019 & 26.07.2019) / 05.08.2019 (exam: 14.08.2019 & 16.08.2019) / 02.09.2019 (exam: 12.09.2019 & 13.09.2019) / 04.11.2019 (exam: 14.11.2019 & 15.11.2019)
|Minimum age:||16 years|
|25 lessons||8 weeks||10 weeks||EXTRA week |
|12 weeks||24 weeks||EXTRA week |
|Tuition only||€ 1460,-||€ 1800,-||€ 170,-||€ 1828,-||€ 3556,-||€ 144,-|
|Tuition + Residence Standard shared||€ 2668,-||€ 3310,-||€ 321,-||€ 3640,-||€ 7180,-||€ 295,-|
|Tuition + Residence Standard single||€ 3124,-||€ 3880,-||€ 378,-||€ 4324,-||€ 8548,-||€ 352,-|
|Tuition + Residence Superior shared||€ 4540,-||€ 5650,-||€ 555,-||€ 6448,-||€ 12796,-||€ 529,-|
|Tuition + Shared Flat/Family/Student house shared||€ 2500,-||€ 3100,-||€ 300,-||€ 3388,-||€ 6676,-||€ 274,-|
|Tuition + Shared Flat/Family/Student house single||€ 3044,-||€ 3780,-||€ 368,-||€ 4204,-||€ 8308,-||€ 342,-|
|35 lessons||8 weeks||10 weeks||EXTRA week |
|12 weeks||24 weeks||EXTRA week |
|Tuition only||€ 2444,-||€ 3030,-||€ 293,-||€ 3184,-||€ 6268,-||€ 257,-|
|Tuition + Residence Standard shared||€ 3652,-||€ 4540,-||€ 444,-||€ 4996,-||€ 9892,-||€ 408,-|
|Tuition + Residence Standard single||€ 4108,-||€ 5110,-||€ 501,-||€ 5680,-||€ 11260,-||€ 465,-|
|Tuition + Residence Superior shared||€ 5524,-||€ 6880,-||€ 678,-||€ 7804,-||€ 15508,-||€ 642,-|
|Tuition + Shared Flat/Family/Student house shared||€ 3484,-||€ 4330,-||€ 300,-||€ 4744,-||€ 9388,-||€ 387,-|
|Tuition + Shared Flat/Family/Student house single||€ 4028,-||€ 5010,-||€ 491,-||€ 5560,-||€ 11020,-||€ 455,-|
|Enrolment Guidance||490.00||course 8-52 weeks|
- 8 group lessons exam preparation
- University entrance exam (OSD) B2 or C1 examination fee
- 2 free tutorials: Help with choice of study programme and university with the ActiLingua university advisor
- Advice on the Austrian system of higher education
- Schedule for the path to your studies and visa support.
- Guidance for submitting of enrolment documents at 1-3 Austrian universities or for University Preparation Programme (Vorstudienlehrgang).
- Standard Course: In 20 German lessons per week (1 lesson = 45 minutes) you improve your general knowledge of German. Lessons in grammar and conversation help you with syntax and vocabulary building. You practice formal and informal writing and work on listening and reading comprehension.
Intensive Course: In 30 German lessons per week (1 lesson = 45 minutes) you study 20 lessons a week of general German (Standard Course) and receive additional 10 lessons a week in mini groups. This course is ideally suited for anyone wanting to get more practice time with fellow students and ActiLingua teachers
- 5 lessons (2-3 times) cultural/special interest programme per week: e.g. Vienna guided tours; talks and videos about Austrian music, art, history, literature and architecture; Viennese Waltz course; parties; sports
- Accommodation as booked (use of kitchen included)
- ActiLingua Certificate
- ActiLingua vocabulary book
- Course books may be borrowed for the whole course. Books can be bought at a 50% discount from the school office.
- Use of computers, books, CDs, DVDs and magazines in the multimedia library
- Student service at the school office, Monday - Friday
- Free internet access & free WiFi
- Student manual with interesting tips on Vienna
- ActiLingua Card entitling holder to discounts at a number of museums, theatres, restaurants and shops
|Study fees (must be paid to the university)||382 - 745.-||per semester|
|High season surcharge |
(June 30 - August 24, 2019)
|Twin room for single use (Supplement on Residence)||89.-||per week|
|Transfer (from airport/station)||40.-||one way|
|Travel insurance package||18.-||per week|
|Cancellation insurance||4%||of total amount|
|Public transport||17.10||per week|
|Pocket money||80.-||per week|